Little league baseball pitching is a special art. It takes a lot of work to get better and find that consistency with your mechanics and location that you need to be successful.
Before I share with you some winning little league baseball pitching tips, I encourage all young pitchers to find and, if possible, work with a current or former pitcher, like a former college or professional pitcher, to help you and your team.
Of all the baseball positions, I think baseball pitching is where it really helps to have played the position or to get proper instruction from someone such as a current or former pitcher who has and can teach pitching the right way.
However, you can still help a player improve by sticking to the basics and working on one or two fundamental aspects of being a successful pitcher. Here are a few little league baseball pitching tips to keep in mind as your work with your pitchers.
1. Throw strikes and let the defense make the plays. This sounds simple, and it is but to win games you can't have walks. This means throw strikes and let the defense do the job. Remember that the batter is just one against nine and all nine are wearing gloves!
2. Pitchers have a tendency to overthrow. This leads to a lack of control and walks. Have pitchers throw at 80% and develop control.
3. Manage with your mind more than your heart. You'll keep saying to yourself, "One more pitch and we'll get out of the inning." You'll always be rooting for your pitcher to get back on track. Make a pitching change one batter early rather than one batter late.
4. Adjust to the umpires strike zone. If the umpire has a low strike zone, throw low pitches. If the umpire has a high strike zone, throw up and in. Of course, mix-up your pitches. However, knowing what the umpire considers a strike and adjusting to it to a key to more successful pitching.
5. Once your pitcher finds a pitch that works, stay with it. He should get into a consistent rhythm before mixing things up. Too may times pitchers want to try different pitches on every throw forgetting what pitch they just threw for a strike. Find what works and use it!
Get my pitching velocity program
If you believe adding velocity could be critical to your success, check out my proven programs for pitchers of all ages.