Probably the number one job of a pitcher is to keep hitters uncomfortable and off-balance at the plate. In other words, they shouldn't know what pitch is coming next! And they should be comfortable "digging in" the batter's box against you.
No matter what your baseball pitching strategy is or what level you're currently playing baseball, keeping hitters uncomfortable should be the purpose of everything the pitcher does on the mound.
Here are some basic keys to remember when you are pitching on the mound. Implementing these baseball pitching strategies into your normal routine will allow you to develop a solid philosophy on how to pitch to hitters and win more games!
1. Make the inside half of the plate yours. Always attack inside and see if the hitter can handle your fastball.
2. Show your off-speed stuff early in the game (change up, curve, etc)
3. Be able to throw a change up on any count
4. Double up (throw 2 in a row) on curveballs on 0-2, 1-2, or 2-2 counts
5. With runners in scoring position don’t let hitters be able to sit on your fastball. Be able to throw a 2-seamer for movement to get a ground ball.
6. Be able to change the eye level of all your pitches. Example: Curveball down followed by fastball up
7. On fastball counts or on the first pitch (1-0, 2-0, 2-2, or 3-2) be able to throw a 2-seamer for movement.
8. DON’T BE PREDICTABLE!!! Keep changing eye level, working different halves of the plate, and changing speeds.
9. If you get ahead with the first pitch then attack aggressively inside.
10. Re-focus with 2 outs, close out the innning
11. Attack aggressively in the first inning and after your team scores. “Throw up a zero”
12. Re-focus and bare down the second time through the heart of the opposing team’s lineup
Get my pitching velocity program
If you believe adding velocity could be critical to your success, check out my proven programs for pitchers of all ages.
What do you think?
Now it's time to hear from you:
Are there any additional tips that I missed?
Or maybe you have an idea of how I can make this article even better.
Either way, leave a comment and let me know.